Sunday, July 29, 2007

The Sky is Falling

My Aunt woke me up at 3am last Friday to tell me that my beloved uncle had died. I cried with her and told her I would hug her tonight when I fly into the town where she lives. We were going to celebrate my uncle's birthday in the hospital on Saturday, but now the family will gather to celebrate his life instead.

Then, as I straggled into work to finish up some things so I could fly out, Daughter #1 called from work crying to tell me that two news helicopters had collided and crashed . . .and one of them was from her station. The copters had been following a car chase between the police and a thief, and somehow one got too close to the other, and there were no survivors. Daughter #1 was actually producing the live segment when they lost contact. The surreal part of this is that Daughter #1 and her co-workers had to keep covering the story as they sobbed and worked from the time of the accident for over 8 hours without commercials.

It is now 2 days later, and Wonderful-Mother-In-Law (really)went back to the hospital in an ambulance--the cancer is actually in remission, but she doesn't eat or drink and it was time to go back and get stabilized. . .again.

And Husband called from Wonderful-In-Laws' home to tell me that Wonderful-Father-In-Law (really, him too)has some medical problems too.

Sometimes I feel like an entire generation I love is slipping away from me one at a time. And there's a helpless feeling you get when your child (even a grown one) is in pain no matter how hard you try to shore her up.

The sky really seems to be falling all over us right now.

2 comments:

In her own Voice said...

Welcome to the world of blog, Sandwich! This is my seventh day "on" myself, and I, too, benefitted from Caffe Lib's blog of note.

We are likely around the same age--both baby boomers, for sure. I like studying and writing about our generation too. I believe there's so much more to come and that the world can benefit from our "elder wisdom" if we step up to the plate.

I'm thinking maybe setting up this blog could be the beginning of that for me. Been trying to get my book out for some time now and my writing guild mentor has suggested blogging would be a good way--just to get the ideas out there. Later the pieces can be sewn together into a great quilt!

Anyway--welcome to blog world!

Sandy Price said...

I watched coverage of the helicopter collision with horror, but didn't realize that Daughter #1 was "on" at the time. Sigh... there aren't enough hugs in the universe for that experience.

I had to chuckle at "in her own voice"'s comment about elder wisdom. I can't think of myself as "elder," period, let alone think that anything I could say might be deemed "elder wisdom"!